Tuesday 6 January 2009

The Gold Standard

I was up late last night finishing off our stock take, now that the crazy festive period is over. Christmas and New Years is always a good time for anything sparkly. You’ll notice that all the colour collections that are launched for December always contains some form of glitter, or ‘paillettes’ as they are known as in labs across the country (and France).

So it was no surprise to find out that the brand that really began to fly out the door come Christmas was Belmacz!
This cute little ensemble of products is brought to us by the simply fabulous Julia Muggenburg who is best known as an acclaimed jeweller.

When I met with Julia in the autumn of last year, I was super impressed by her passion for her subject. And her passion is wholeheartedly poured into the fabulously indulgent products she has developed, using 24-carat gold leaf as the star ingredient!

First, the gold leaf lip gloss. This comes in 5 shades (the most popular one being Cornelian, which is a punchy, coral shade). When I first tried this product I was a little unsure as it has no scent and I am a big fan of all things fruity and juicy. The packaging is also a little bit plain for such a decadent concept. However, as soon as I had applied it (brazenly, at the dinner table), one of my friends immediately asked for some. ‘But its purple” I stated, surprised as she usually leans toward any shade as long as it’s nude. “But its gorgeous” she replied. And when I looked in the mirror I saw that she was right and now I am an addict.
The second product in the line that I am a huge fan of is Halo. It is a beautiful balm made with rosehip oil and cocoa butter, with tiny flakes of gold leaf creating a very impressive shimmer. The texture is silky and the formula melts onto your skin very easily. Big tick!

Finally, we have the Oyster Pearl Powder. Of the 3, this is my least favourite as I love the bling of the above, however it gives you a very pleasant matte finish and I would definitely recommend it for the girl that likes to indulge without showing it off to the world!

What a fantastic way to be extravagant during this evil credit crunch- without breaking the bank (or walking into a jeweller’s)!


No comments:

Post a Comment